Monday 20 August 2012

Fasting is not so hard after all!!

So today is another fast day.  Really, when you see this photo of my breakfast, you'll realise it isnt strictly a fast in the true sense of the word.  My delicious breakfast this morning of 50g porridge, made with half water, half semi skimmed milk, 2 strawberries and a small sprinkling of mixed seeds.  All for just 150 calories.

It's a pretty humid 30 degrees in my living room today and as im still on the road to recovery, I can't go very far, so have been resting and working on some musical endeavours..... So you could say I'm not exactly burning off too many calories!!  

That being said, my porridge, which as we all know is a slow burner and has a low GI rating, seemed to keep me going longer than usual and I didn't feel like any lunch until around 3pm.   Of course, it could be the heat.  I may feel differently when it's 2 degrees outside!!!  I guess I'll find out in a few months time.

Lunch today, pictured, was a small spoon of homous, salad and breadsticks.... Around 180 calories... And was delicious.   I think my taste buds are gradually returning.... Which may or may not help!

The day ends with me stringing it out as long as possible before having dinner ....when I say dinner, it's perhaps the sort of dinner one might expect at an expensive health farm where you pay people to step in where your will power has failed and present you with one scallop and two peas on a plate.

   Tonight it is half a tin of sardines in chilli sauce, a rosemary bread stick and salad.   150 calories.  The hardest thing for me is not to have some fruit and Greek yoghurt afterwards (my usual desert of choice)..... So black coffee it is.   I'm going through the weird sensation of hunger pangs after eating again.... That still strikes me as odd... But learning to live with it...  480 calories in total today so at least I can go to bed basking in the glow of righteousness !

It would be safe to assume with something like this that you could expect the novelty to wear off pretty quickly.  However, my experience so far is that I've started to look forward to the fast days.   All the negative effects of overindulgence disappear so I'm sleeping better, waking up feeling good, have more energy, feel lighter and the craving for food has long stopped.  I'm looking forward to finding out if the other benefits Michael Mosley referred to such as cell renewal and enhanced brain function, will take effect.  I hope so as I start a new OU module in October!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment