Sunday 12 August 2012

Started on the IF diet.....(intermittent fasting)

After watching Michael Mosley's inspiring BBC2 programme, Eat, fast, live longer, I decided to give alternate day fasting a go.   Started a couple of days ago and have done two fasting days so far.  Will use this blog to record my progress as I go and any tips for those temptedtogive it a try.

Basically, the way it works is I have one day of fasting followed by one day of eating fairly normally.  On fast days, i eat no more than 500 calories.  On the alternate days, I eat a normal healthy diet but no more than 2,000 calories, which is a normal intake for a woman.... It's 2500 for a man.

I started by finding out how many calories are in my favourite foods and the things I normally eat, such as porridge, fish, fruits, Greek yoghurt etc.

Some people like to consume their 500 calories in one meal but I decided instead to break it up into breakfast, lunch and dinner of around 150 calories each.   Surprisingly easy in the summer as I can fill up on salads which count very few calories as long as I use no dressing.

So far so easy.... The hunger pangs come and go and it's easier of you keep busy!! I cycled 20km on my first fasting day which strangely helped....

I feel like the weight is coming off already!!

1 comment:

  1. good luck I thought it was an interesting program too I wlll keep following

    ReplyDelete